What is Sustainable Floristry?
“Sustainable” is defined as:
Creating less waste
- We never use floral foam.
- We look for flowers that are not wrapped in plastic.
- We design toward using reusable methods, structures & mechanics.
- We compost & recycle as much as we can.
Using better than products
- We use wire, wraps and tubes instead of foam.
- In choosing our mechanics, we look for a reusable, compostable or recyclable methods before anything that is disposable.
- If a flower is available in no wrap vs. a paper wrap vs. a plastic sleeves – we aim for the naked bunch!
- We always source Whidbey-grown first, then Washington-grown, then American-grown.
- We are committed to sourcing from certified sustainable farms.
- If the flower that our client lusts for is only available as an import, we look to source it from farms that are Rainforest Alliance Certified or from farms that are known to be kind & considerate to their workers (thus employing the “better than” products approach.
- Read more about why we source locally grown flowers here.
Sustainable business practices
- We treat employees well. Our lowest paid employee is paide more than a “living wage”.
- We have an inventory of common décor items to rent to our clients, so each couple doesn’t need to buy the same stuff as the last couple, in hopes of reducing the amount of packaging into the waste stream as well as reducing emissions from delivery.
- We educate ourselves in order to feed our souls’ fires of creativity, which sustains the quality of our designs.
- We strive to provide excellent customer service – and that includes educating our clients about the floral industry and why eco-friendly floral practices are worth choosing!
- We are a member of Slow Flowers!
We are proud to offer eco-friendly, foam-free floral design!